The tricky part is that the lease says you need to give 60 days for your "initial", or yearly lease, but once you go month-to-month, the notice term goes down to 30 days. They very cleverly gave me notice of my rent increase exactly 60 days before my lease is up, so if I spent more than 24 hours deciding what I wanted to do, I'd have to sign a month-to-month lease, to the tune of $300 more than my current rate.
So my plan is to stick around for another year, and give my intent to vacate sometime in April. I made a New Years Resolution this year to be out of my job by the time my lease came up so I knew whether or not I'd have to be on the Metro, etc. and I didn't get it. Now I have one more year. This 60-day notice thing really does get under my skin though. I feel like even though I got them to go down on the increase, they still stuck it to me in the end.
So, I guess the easy things got solved to good ends, but the hard things remain hard. 50/50: This glass is half-full.